What to Do When You Must Sell Your House Fast
Selling • March 8, 2023
Selling a house is typically a long and involved process. There are many small details to attend to if you want to earn the highest amount possible in the current market. When time is on your side, the transition goes much more smoothly. Even if you run into a hiccup, you can course-correct without too much stress. But what if you don’t have the time?
Sometimes, you must sell your home in a hurry, and you can’t afford for anything to go wrong. For example, you may have just received word of an upcoming relocation as a military member. Or perhaps you must relocate due to a change in your family situation or a new career opportunity. In any case, a new plan is needed, one that allows you to sell your home on short notice without sacrificing its value.
Military and Professional Presence in North Kanata
The rise of the High Tech Business Park and recent opening of the DND (Department of National Defence) in Kanata has attracted a lot of military personnel and young professionals to the West Ottawa area. As a result, Kanata has become one of the fastest-growing suburbs in the region. This is excellent news when you receive word that you must sell your home on short notice. The non-stop demand for real estate and the vast pool of potential buyers can help you get outstanding results even when you are in a time crunch.
Did you know that there are several resources to assist you with your military relocation? Find out more in some of our other posts below:
- How to Sell Your Home as a Military Professional
- Military Relocation: Resources For An Efficient Move
- What You Need to Know About Buying Out of Province
The Shortest Line From “For Sale” to “Sold”
Usually, when you put your home up for sale, you take the time to research the market and renovate accordingly. You can afford to hold out for the highest calibre of buyers and negotiate the most favourable terms. When you’re not pressed to sell, you can be meticulous and even wait until conditions are more advantageous.
Last-minute relocations are an entirely different story. Sometimes, you must either fast-forward through the process or skip some of the steps altogether.
How can you pull off a lightning-fast sale without sacrificing the best results? With expert guidance and support, nearly anything is possible!
Choosing Your Real Estate Team
It all begins with finding the right real estate team to represent you. When time is of the essence, you can’t afford any missteps or mistakes that would otherwise cause minor setbacks. Everything needs to be done right the first time. And there’s no better way to do that than to engage a local professional who has been through it countless times before. How do you choose the right fit?
Remember that most buyers in this day and age begin the search for a new home online. Your real estate agent should have a strong web presence and be active on social media to attract attention early on. Once you’ve identified your top candidates, you can call or email for a short interview. Start by asking the following questions:
- How long have you worked in my area?
- What is your plan to sell my home quickly?
- Do you have specialized military relocation experience and training?
- How will your marketing strategy expose my home to the highest number of qualified buyers possible?
- What renovations or updates should I make to increase my return on investment in the least amount of time possible?
- Can you save me time by recommending other professionals, such as real estate lawyers, tradespeople, cleaners, and moving companies?
- Do you provide full service so that I can enjoy a hands-off experience?
At West Ottawa Real Estate, we like to be prepared for everything! Here are some other articles you may find enlightening:
- Stigma and Real Estate: Your Guide to Buying or Selling a Haunted House
- Your Guide To Waterfront Properties In Ottawa
- Say Cheese! 5 Reasons Why You Should Hire a Professional Real Estate Photographer
Preparing Your Home When You Have No Time
If you work with a local, full-service real estate team, you may not have to worry too much about home preparations. Your agent can handle nearly everything for you. Still, it is your home, and you may wish to be somewhat involved. Here are some basic home improvements that you can pull off quickly that will help you enjoy a fast and profitable sale:
- Cleaning and decluttering. Nothing matters more than ensuring your home is sparkling clean when a buyer walks through. Decluttering and organizing make each room feel more spacious. This step alone can add perceived value to your home.
- Fresh paint throughout. It’s hard to beat the transformational power of a simple coat of neutral-coloured paint. You don’t even have to do the job yourself. Professional painters can take care of your whole house in a day or two!
- Increase your curb appeal. It’s no secret that buyers begin judging your home the moment they see it. Raking leaves, maintaining the lawn, and clearing the front porch are simple ways to make sure the first impression is a good one. For added effect, consider adding seasonal decor or a colourful flower garden.
- Update hardware and fixtures. Switching out handles on cabinet and closet doors and upgrading your lighting fixtures can make an older home seem more modern and appealing.
- Staging your home for maximum effect. Help your buyer imagine living in your home by removing all photos and souvenirs and adding tasteful but impersonal decor. A professional staging company can make this transformation seamless and profitable.
Selling your home in a hurry can be stressful. However, the support of your family and a local real estate professional can help make your transition seamless and successful from day one.
At West Ottawa Real Estate, military and last-minute relocations are just one of our specialties. If you need more advice about selling your home quickly, we are happy to help! Reach out to us at [email protected] or call 613-690-5993 for more information.